If my PAL is expired do I have to take the course again?

THE SHORT ANSWER IS NO!. Many times we get questions from persons who at some point in time had taken the Canadian firearms safety course (post-1995) or the Canadian restricted firearms safety course. Many times people tell us they took the training in another town or province however the training and documents are federal and still stand as valid regardless of which province offered the training. Let's take a closer look at the matter and clear up a few basic points and provide some application and renewal information. Note: A non-expired PAL can be renewed online. Visit https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms for more information.
Question 1. My PAL/RPAL has expired, do I have to take the course again?.
Answer 1. No!!!. Once you have been issued a PAL/RPAL your information is in the federal database and remains thereafter your license expires. You simply use form RCMP 5592. We have heard from many people saying they just thought that if their PAL has expired that they have to take the course again!. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE.
NOTE: Cut & paste this information into your web browser, https://firingline.ca/sites/default/files/rcmp-form-5592.pdf to take the shortcut and find the form on the web and get right to the required forms.
If you have your Canadian Firearms Safety Course Report, provide a photocopy of this document with your application. If you do not have it?. that's ok. You can ask your original instructor. If you are a past firingline student?, it's real easy. Just send us a message and we will be able to produce a copy for you, free of charge to assist you.

2, Question. I had a PAL/RPAL years ago and let it expire and I do NOT have my card any longer (missing/lost) I also do not have a copy of my original course report or even how to find my instructor?.
2, Answer. No problem. Do you still have your old expired PAL card?. If so?, just write in the expired PAL# on the application form #RCMP 5592. (Section 1A). If you don't have your expired PAL card and you can't get a copy of your original course report just call 1-800-731-4000 and explain your situation and an agent should be able to ask you some questions to find you in the system. Form RCMP 5592 is the form you will need. Cut and paste the web link listed above in a search engine to get you there quickly. Also please note: If you passed the CFSC before February 1, 1999, you are considered to have met both requirements for the non-restricted and the restricted courses.

3. Question. it's been so long?, perhaps I should just take the course again to refresh my knowledge?.
3. Answer: Although it is not required for a person to do so, We have had many persons sit through one of our courses as an information session and we are always happy to have anyone who completed the course at some point in the past to take a brush-up. If you have an old/expired PAL or a copy of an old course report we would be happy to have you sit in on a course with us (FREE OF CHARGE) and take part like the others in the class. We are safety orientated and proactive with everyone's firearms safety and firingline and we will do whatever we can to assist our clients and students.

4. My PAL will soon expire, When should I send in my renewal application?.
4. We recommend 3-6 months. With your payment included and an updated photo. There are several reasons for the early submission. One, the system can be backlogged at times and slow. Two, if the processing site requires extra information?, they have time to get a hold of you!. Three, your references don't always answer the phone call from the CFP or call back NOT too quick sometimes. NOTE:(They must also have known you for 3 years.) Also?, Be sure to remind your references that they may get a phone call from the Canadian firearms program administration in the next few weeks after you send in your application. Your application will stall and freeze in the system if your references are called and do not answer and or don't call back into the CFP!.

5. I sent in my application and /or renewal and I have moved or will be, What should I do?.
5. Answer: Call the CFP @ 1-800-731-4000 and explain your situation with your new address. They will then ensure that you get your PAL in your updated mailbox. No Issue at all. Please note that you are required to call the CFP TO update your address in the system within 30 days if you move after you are issued a PAL. Not simply wait until you are ready to renew. Your PAL is good for 5 years once issued but as mentioned, Call in if you move!. 1-800-731-4000.
For all the quick information please visit https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms This is the official website. RCMP 5614 / CAFC 979 is the form you need for a NOT YET expired PAL/RPAL.
RCMP 5592 / CAFC 921E is the form you need for a new/expired PAL/RPAL
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at any time.
At firingline we are here to assist you with all of your firearms needs."Shoot straight and safe!"
The firingline team.
(CFP) Canadian firearms program. 1-800-731-4000 OR https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms